Adult Literacy Programs in Florida Libraries
What kind of adult literacy programs are in Florida’s public libraries?
You can review information below to learn more about these programs, or view recordings of our online discussions:
- Library Adult and Family Literacy Discussion (58:47)
- Moving Forward: Library Adult Literary Discussion (58:40)
Broward County's literacy services include:
- Citizenship classes offered at 13 libraries.
- Adult literacy classes staffed by volunteers who teach adults to read and write.
- Monthly casual conversational English classes at the English Café.
Tutoring, classes and other services include:
- ABE and ESOL sessions that offer individual tutoring for adults.
- Pre-GED, GED and Citizenship Exam prep to help adults prepare for those exams.
- Personal & Life Skills classes that help with financial and health literacy, computer skills, drivers licenses and interviewing skills.
They are committed helping adults achieve basic reading and writing skills, English comprehension, and communication skills.
This video about the program (5: 27) interviews volunteers, board members, tutors and students.
Tutors turn in monthly reports to document student outcomes.
Jacksonville Public Library
The Center for Adult Learning offers:
- GED prep.
- Eight-week citizenship classes.
- Free ESOL classes for non-native speakers.
Volunteers in these programs work with small groups of students. You can read examples of some of their success stories.
Leon County Public Library
The LeRoy Collins Leon County Public Library's Adult Education and ESL Program offers individual and small group tutoring with trained volunteer tutors.
Their tutors help adults:
- Improve Math, Reading, Writing, and Digital Literacy skills.
- Prepare for the GED, PERT, TOEFL, ASVAB, TABE, and other exams.
- Improve English as a Second Language (ESL) skills and prepare for the U.S. Citizenship exam.
All services are free and are offered in person and online.
Miami-Dade Public Library System
- Provides one-on-one tutoring to help English-speaking adults improve reading and writing.
- Matches adult learners with volunteer tutors.
- Tutoring is free and confidential.
Orange County Library System
- Face-to-face classes for ESOL students.
- Many ways to learn to speak and write English.
- Virtual and online discussion hours.
Pinellas Public Library Cooperative
A variety of literacy programs include:
- Small group and one-on-one tutoring from the volunteer Literacy Council of Upper Pinellas.
- The Deaf Literacy Center located at the Safety Harbor Library offers small group and individual instruction for deaf individuals and their families. Read more about the DLC on our Stars in the Sunshine State pages.
Contact us if your library has an adult literacy program we can list.