Professional Resources in Print
State Library Collection for Libraries
The following list includes resources from our professional collection for libraries. We update this bibliography periodically. Please note that this is not an exhaustive list. For additional sources, search the library catalog.
All titles are available for interlibrary loan. For assistance requesting an item, please contact your library's ILL librarian.
Employees at any Florida public library, K-12 or public academic library are eligible for a Library Employee E-Card.
Contact us at 850.245.6680 or by email at [email protected] for further assistance.
- Archives and preservation
- Collection development
- Marketing and outreach
- Public services
- Services to Spanish speakers
- Youth services
- Arp, Charlie. Archival Basics: A Practical Manual for Working With Historical Collections. Lanham: Rowman & Littlefield, 2019.
- Baird, Brian J. Practical Preservation and Conservation Strategies for Libraries. Lanham: Rowman & Littlefield, 2018.
- Bastian, Jeannette A. and Andrew Flinn. Community Archives, Community Spaces: Heritage, Memory and Identity. London: Facet Publishing, 2020.
- Bastian, Jeannette A., Megan Sniffin-Marinoff and Donna Webber. Archives in Libraries: What Librarians and Archivists Need to Know to Work Together. Chicago: Society of American Archivists, 2017.
- Carmicheal, David W. Organizing Archival Records. 4th ed. Lanham: Rowman & Littlefield, 2019.
- Hunter, Gregory S. Developing and Maintaining Practical Archives: A How-To-Do-It Manual. 3rd ed. Chicago: ALA Neal-Schuman, 2020.
- Jackson, Laura Uglean, editor. Reappraisal and Deaccessioning in Archives and Special Collections. Lanham: Rowman & Littlefield, 2019.
- Owens, Trevor. The Theory and Craft of Digital Preservation. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press, 2018.
- Phillips, Faye. Creating a Local History Archive at Your Public Library. Chicago: ALA Editions, 2017.
- Arndt, Theresa S. Getting Started With Demand-Driven Acquisitions for E-Books: A LITA Guide. Chicago: ALA TechSource, 2015.
- Emery, Jill, Graham Stone, and Peter McCracken. Techniques for Electronic Resource Management: TERMS and the Transition to Open. Chicago: ALA Editions, 2020.
- Hale, Dawn, editor. Shared Collections: Collaborative Stewardship. Chicago: ALA Editions, 2016.
- Hartnett, Eric, editor. Guide to Streaming Video Acquisitions. Chicago: ALA Editions, 2019.
- Kelly, Madeline M. The Complete Collections Assessment Manual: A Holistic Approach. Chicago: ALA Neal-Schuman, 2020.
- Verminski, Alana and Kelly Marie Blanchat. Fundamentals of Electronic Resources Management. Chicago: ALA Neal-Schuman, 2017.
- Allan, Barbara. The No-Nonsense Guide to Project Management. London: Facet Publishing, 2017.
- Atwood, Christee. Succession Planning Basics. 2nd ed. Alexandria: Association for Talent Development, 2020.
- Evans, G. Edward. Management Basics for Information Professionals. 4th ed. Chicago: ALA Neal-Schuman, 2020.
- Hakala-Ausperk, Catherine. Future-Proof Your Team. Chicago: ALA Editions, 2019.
- Hall, Kate and Kathy Parker. The Public Library Director's Toolkit. Chicago: ALA Editions, 2019.
- Henry, Jo, Joe Eshleman and Richard Moniz. The Dysfunctional Library: Challenges and Solutions to Workplace Relationships. Chicago: ALA Editions, 2018.
- Hussey, Lisa K. and Diane L. Velasquez, editors. Library Management 101: A Practical Guide. 2nd ed. Chicago: ALA Editions, 2019.
- Sannwald, William W. Financial Management for Libraries. Chicago: ALA Neal-Schuman, 2018.
- Searcy, Carly Wiggins. Project Management in Libraries: On Time, On Budget, On Target. Chicago: ALA Editions, 2018.
- Soehner, Catherine and Ann Darling. Effective Difficult Conversations: A Step-By-Step Guide. Chicago: ALA Editions, 2017.
- Dalal, Heather A., Robin O'Hanlon and Karen L. Yacobucci. Video Marketing for Libraries: A Practical Guide for Librarians. Lanham: Rowman & Littlefield, 2017.
- de Farber, Bess G., April Hines, and Barbara J. Hood. Collaborating With Strangers: Facilitating Workshops in Libraries, Classes, and Nonprofits. Chicago: ALA Neal-Schuman, 2017.
- Fiore, Sara A. Crowdsource Your Library, Engage Your Community: The What, When, Why, and How. Santa Barbara: Libraries Unlimited, 2018.
- Goodman, Amanda L. Marketing Plans in Action: A Step-By-Step Guide for Libraries, Archives, and Cultural Organizations. Chicago: ALA Editions, 2019.
- Higginbottom, Patricia, and Valerie Gordon. Marketing for Special and Academic Libraries: A Planning and Best Practices Sourcebook. Lanham: Rowman & Littlefield, 2016.
- Lackie, Robert J. and M. Sandra Wood, editors. Creative Library Marketing and Publicity: Best Practices. Lanham: Rowman & Littlefield, 2015.
- Polger, Mark Aaron. Library Marketing Basics. Lanham: Rowman & Littlefield, 2019.
- Solomon, Laura. The Librarian's Nitty-Gritty Guide to Content Marketing. Chicago: ALA Editions, 2016.
- Almquist, Arne J. and Sharon G. Almquist. Intrapreneurship Handbook for Librarians: How to Be a Change Agent in Your Library. Santa Barbara: Libraries Unlimited, 2017.
- Chakraborty, Mou, editor. Stellar Customer Service: Training Library Staff to Exceed Expectations. Santa Barbara: Libraries Unlimited, 2016.
- Cooke, Nicole A. Information Services to Diverse Populations: Developing Culturally Competent Library Professionals. Santa Barbara; Denver: Libraries Unlimited, 2017.
- MacKellar, Pamela H. Meeting Community Needs: A Practical Guide for Librarians. Lanham: Rowman & Littlefield, 2016.
- Ross, Catherine Sheldrick, Kirsti Nilsen, and Marie L. Radford. Conducting the Reference Interview: A How-To-Do-It Manual for Librarians. 3rd ed. Chicago: ALA Neal-Schuman, 2019.
- Sewell, Claire. The No-Nonsense Guide to Research Support and Scholarly Communication. London: Facet Publishing, 2020,
- Tyckoson, David A. 4 Rs of Reference: Using the Psychology of Question-Asking for Reference Success. Chicago: American Library Association, 2018.
- Montiel-Overall Patricia, Annabelle Villaescusa Nunez, and Verónica Reyes-Escudero. Latinos in Libraries, Museums, and Archives: Cultural Competence in Action! An Asset-Based Approach. Lanham: Rowman & Littlefield, 2016.
- Naidoo, Jamie Campbell. Once Upon a Cuento: Bilingual Storytimes in English and Spanish. Chicago: ALA Editions, 2016.
Technical services and cataloging
- Edwards, Kimberley A. and Michelle Leonard, editors. Assessment Strategies in Technical Services. Chicago: ALA Editions, 2019.
- Sandstrom, John and Liz Miller. Fundamentals of Technical Services. Chicago: ALA Neal-Schuman, 2015.
- Burke, John J. Neal-Schuman Library Technology Companion: A Basic Guide for Library Staff. 6th ed. Chicago: ALA Neal-Schuman, 2020.
- Coghill, Jeffrey G. and Roger G. Russell, editors. Developing Librarian Competencies for the Digital Age. Lanham: Rowman & Littlefield, 2017.
- Farmer, Lesley S.J. and Alan M. Safer. Library Improvement Through Data Analytics. Chicago: Neal-Schuman, 2016.
- Hirsh, Sandra and Susan Alman, editors. Blockchain. Chicago: ALA Neal-Schuman, 2020.
- Thomsett-Scott, Beth C., editor. Marketing With Social Media: A LITA Guide. Chicago: ALA Neal-Schuman, 2020.
- Varnum, Kenneth J., editor. New Top Technologies Every Librarian Needs to Know. Chicago: ALA Neal-Schuman, 2019.
- Baker, R. Lynn. Creating Literacy-Based Programs for Children: Lesson Plans and Printable Resources for K-5. Chicago: ALA Editions, 2017.
- Campana, Kathleen. Supercharged Storytimes: An Early Literacy Planning and Assessment Guide. Chicago: ALA Editions, 2016.
- Campana, Kathleen and J. Elizabeth Mills, editors. Create, Innovate, and Serve: A Radical Approach to Children's and Youth Programming. Chicago: ALA Neal-Schuman, 2018.
- Jewell, Alyssa. Move, Play, Learn: Interactive Storytimes With Music, Movement, and More. Chicago: ALA Editions, 2020.
- Smith, Karen M. Creating a Tween Collection: A Practical Guide for Librarians. Lanham : Rowman and Littlefield, 2019.