Para español, seleccione de la lista

Contact: Sarah Revell
[email protected]

Vinoy Golf Club Featured as Florida Historic Golf Trail Course of the Month


Secretary of State Laurel Lee announced today that the Vinoy Golf Club in St. Petersburg has been chosen as the featured course on the Florida Historic Golf Trail for the month of February.

"The Department is excited to feature the Vinoy Golf Club as a partner on the Florida Historic Golf Trail,"said Secretary Lee. "The historic hotel and golf course have been an integral part of St. Petersburg's scenic beauty and historical landmarks for more than 90 years."


Image Courtesy of Vinoy Golf Club


In 1920, St. Petersburg developer C. Perry Snell officially opened a 9-hole golf course called the Coffee Pot Golf Club. C.D. Remington was the course's golf professional and caddies were available for 60 cents per nine holes or $1 for 18 holes. A year later Snell added another nine holes along with a driving fairway and a driving net practice area.

In 1926, Snell hired nationally-known golf architects William Stiles and John van Kleek, who had offices in Boston and St. Petersburg, to build a modern 18-hole golf course. Stiles and van Kleek created nine new holes and reused nine from the existing golf course which was then renamed the Snell Island Golf Course.

In 1932, D.L. Clark of candy bar fame purchased the golf course for $156,000 and renamed it Clarks' Sunset Golf and Country Club. Then in 1948 the Sunset Golf Course was purchased by the Alsonett Hotel Corporation, which owned the Vinoy, Soreno and Tides hotels. Florida-based golf course architect Ron Garl redesigned the entire course in 1992.

Today, the Vinoy Golf Club is an 18-hole, par-71 golf course featuring six sets of tees playing from 3,000 to 6,600 yards making it playable for all golf skill levels.

"The Vinoy is honored to be this month's featured golf course of the Florida Historic Golf Trail," said Barbara Readey, General Manager of the AAA Four-Diamond Resort. "Our Resort and Golf Course have a rich history that is one-of-a-kind. With the original golf course dating back to 1920 and our resort's original opening in 1925, we consider it a privilege to be recognized for our unique history. Our approachable course and friendly staff will ensure that you come back and play again and again."

For more information about the Vinoy Golf Club, visit here. To learn more about the Florida Historic Golf Trail, visit or find us on Facebook at

# # #

About The Florida Historic Golf Trail

Florida's golf history, recognized as one of the oldest in the nation, dates back to the late 1800s when a number of early courses were created along with the development of railroads and hotels in the state. The Florida Historic Golf Trail is a collection of more than 50 historic, publicly accessible golf courses throughout the state that can still be played on today. Through the Florida Historic Golf Trail, golfers can play on courses designed by world-class architects and played by famous golfers such as Bobby Jones, Walter Hagen, Gene Sarazen, Babe Zaharias, Arnold Palmer and Jack Nicklaus. Information about the history and current day contact information for each partner course can be found at Find the historic course near you and Come Play on History!

About The Division of Historical Resources

The Florida Department of State's Division of Historical Resources (DHR) is responsible for preserving and promoting Florida's historical, archaeological, and folk culture resources. The Division Director's office oversees a grants-in-aid program to help preserve and maintain Florida's historic buildings and archaeological sites; coordinates outreach programs such as the State Historic Markers program and the Florida Folklife program which identifies and promotes the state's traditional culture. DHR directs historic preservation efforts throughout the state in cooperation with state and federal agencies, local governments, private organizations, and individuals. The Division Director serves as the State Historic Preservation Officer, acting as the liaison with the national historic preservation program conducted by the National Park Service. The Division is comprised of two Bureaus, archaeological research and historic preservation. For more information visit