For Immediate Release
Thursday, February 2, 2023
Contact: Mark Ard
PRESS RELEASE: Governor Ron DeSantis’ Framework for Freedom Budget Builds on Election Integrity and Boosts Arts, Culture and Historic Preservation
The Governor’s 2023-2024 Fiscal Year Budget Expands the Office of Election Crimes and Security, and Assists with Election Preparedness
Tallahassee, Fla. –
Today, Florida Secretary of State Cord Byrd commended Governor Ron DeSantis’ Framework for Freedom budget for Fiscal Year 2023-2024. Governor DeSantis’ budget proposal ensures Florida remains the gold standard for election integrity, promotes business efficiency, boosts support for arts and culture, and invests in community cornerstones like public libraries and historic downtowns.
Governor DeSantis’ proposed budget includes:
- $3.1 million and 27 positions to fully staff the Office of Elections Crimes and Security, providing more resources to investigate alleged violations and maintain the rule of law in Florida’s elections;
- $1.2 million for live call center services supporting the Statewide Voter Fraud and Assistance Hotline, cybersecurity awareness training for Supervisors of Elections, and an Elections Signature Verification Training Program;
- $289,367 to cultivate and strengthen diplomatic ties with international partners.
- $8.9 million to update systems like Sunbiz, the Florida Voter Registration System, Campaign Finance reporting system and Florida Rules website, to ensure efficient interactions between the Department and business entities and the public, and
- $7.4 million in additional funding to preserve and promote Florida’s historic and archaeological sites, and to support historical, cultural, and museum programs, helping to ensure that every Florida community benefits from our state’s rich historical, cultural, and museum resources.
Florida Secretary of State Cord Byrd said, “Governor DeSantis continues to enhance election integrity with his Framework for Freedom budget. The Governor’s funding proposals support what Floridians want to see foremost in their elections process - the highest degree of access and security with the assurance of transparency. Increased staffing for the Office of Election Crimes and Security will do more to shield the elections process from bad actors and increase the effectiveness of investigations. I am also pleased by the Governor’s continued support of arts and culture and the preservation of Florida’s invaluable historical resources, both on land and underwater. These investments will continue to make Florida the best state in the nation to thrive and enjoy our freedoms.”