Economic Impact of the Arts
The arts are a vitally important economic industry, generating revenue, creating jobs and developing communities. Several resources below offer substantial research findings on the arts and economic development, from statewide economic impact studies to national reports.
Arts and Economic Prosperity 6: Economic Impact of the Nonprofit Arts & Culture Industry
The newly released Arts & Economic Prosperity 6 (AEP6) is an economic and social impact study of the nation’s nonprofit arts and culture industry. Building on its 30-year legacy as the largest and most inclusive study of its kind, AEP6 provides detailed findings on 373 regions from across all 50 states and Puerto Rico—ranging in population from 4,000 to 4 million—and representing rural, suburban, and large urban communities.
In 2022, nonprofit arts and culture organizations and their audiences generated $151.7 billion in economic activity—$73.3 billion in spending by the organizations, which leveraged an additional $78.4 billion in event-related spending by their audiences. The impact of this economic activity is far reaching, supporting 2.6 million jobs, generating $29.1 billion in tax revenue, and providing $101 billion in personal income to residents. AEP6 sends a strong signal that when we support the arts, we are investing in both economic and community well-being.
Arts and Economic Prosperity 6: Economic Impact of the Nonprofit Arts & Culture Industry in the State of Florida
In addition to the national study, Americans for the Arts partnered with the Division of Arts and Culture and Citizens for Florida Arts, Inc. to measure the economic impact of Florida's arts and culture industry.
The data reveal findings including:
- Florida's arts and cultural industry generated $5.8 billion of economic activity, including $2.9 billion by nonprofit arts and culture organizations.
- This economic activity supports 91,270 full-time jobs and generates $3.8 billion in resident household income.
- Florida's arts and cultural industry delivers $694.7 million in local, state, and federal government revenue.
Click here to read Arts & Economic Prosperity 6 in the State of Florida online.
- Click here to download Arts and Economic Prosperity 6 in the State of Florida as a PDF.
- State of Florida Arts & Economic Prosperity One-Page Summary
Florida: Creative Industries Profile
The profile presents the findings of the 2011 South Arts research about creative economies in the nine-state South Arts region. Included in the profile are statistics about nonprofit and for-profit creative industries establishments in Florida.
The data reveal findings including:
- Florida is home to 29,735 creative industries establishments
- Employees of these establishments receive more than $14 billion in annual payroll
- These establishments generate $49.7 billion in annual revenues
- These establishments represent 5.9% of all industry establishments in the state
Arts and Economic Prosperity III: The Economic Impact of Nonprofit Arts and Culture Organizations and Their Audiences in the State of Florida
The report presents the findings of a 2009 study measuring the economic impact of the nonprofit arts and culture industry in Florida. The statewide results were compiled as part of a comprehensive study by Americans for the Arts.
The statewide data reveals that Florida's nonprofit arts and culture industry generated $3.1 billion in economic activity, including:
- 88,236 full time equivalent jobs
- $2.057 billion in resident household income
- $196 million in local government revenue
- $249 million in state government revenue
Full Arts and Economic Prosperity III study (pdf, 614kb)
Economic Impact of Non-Profit Arts and Cultural Organizations on the State Economy of Florida
By William B. Stronge, Ph.D.
This study used 2007 data from the Quarterly Census of Employment and Wages to extrapolate from studies of seven counties already completed by the Americans for the Arts to the statewide totals. The study was sponsored in part by the Division of Arts and Culture and members of the Florida Cultural Alliance.
- Stronge study (125 KB)
Arts and Economic Prosperity 5: Economic Impact of the Nonprofit Arts & Culture Industry
Each link will open as a PDF document
Cities and Towns